Welcome to the Nebraska Writing Project’s online community. The Nebraska Writing Project (NeWP) is a network of professional educators and affiliated writers, provides opportunities to improve, enhance and celebrate writing for classrooms and communities across Nebraska.
NeWP, based out of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln, offers statewide outreach and writing opportunities to advocate for transformations across disciplines and at all levels. You can learn more about our organization, programs, and events on our main website, unl.edu/newp.
About the Nebraska Writing Project
We are the state affiliate of the National Writing Project, a federally funded network of teachers that works to improve students’ writing abilities by promoting teacher development through summer institutes, year-long continuity and school inservice programs.
- The best teachers of writing are writers themselves.
- Teachers provide the best instruction for other teachers.
- Anyone, no matter their ability level, can improve their writing in a supportive context with other practicing writers.
- True school reform comes through democratic partnerships across grade levels.
- Teachers, students and communities benefit when teachers form networks with other teachers and draw on collective expertise.
- To provide educators, through continuing Nebraska Writing Project programs, opportunities to:
- network with other teachers,
- reflect on and improve teaching, and
- act publicly to improve education in our state and region.
- To provide schools, colleges, and universities with an effective professional development model.
- To identify, celebrate, and enhance the professional roles of successful classroom teachers.